How often should you sleep with coconut oil in your hair?
Coconut oil is often used to help improve hair health, but did you ever know the benefits of coconut oil for hair before bed? And what are the ways to use it? In this article, here is the most important information that may interest you:
Benefits of coconut oil for hair before bed
Putting coconut oil before bed and leaving it overnight helps give many benefits to the hair, so it is advised not to use it in the morning because it may take longer to absorb. Here are the most prominent benefits of coconut oil for hair before bed:
1. Moisturizing hair
Coconut oil is suitable for most hair types, and its regular use helps in increasing hair hydration , as it penetrates more deeply into the hair shaft, making it shinier and softer.
2. Improve the health of damaged hair
Coconut oil helps improve damaged hair and make it look healthier, especially for very dry hair, as it protects and reduces damage caused by some hair products, such as: dyes, and shampoos because it contains anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
3. Hair strengthening
One of the most prominent benefits of coconut oil for hair before bed is that it helps to strengthen it, as it works to reduce protein loss from the hair and nourish the scalp, as well as reduce the accumulation of fat, by reducing hair breakage and making it less brittle because it contains lauric acid (Lauric acid). And antioxidants and some nutrients, such as: vitamin E, vitamin K, and iron, which maintain hair follicles.
4. Hair styling
Coconut oil calms and conditions frizzy hair, by preventing the hair from absorbing water, especially in a humid climate, and helps protect it from styling with heat and humidity and gives a shiny look to the hair.
How to use coconut oil for hair before bed
After you know the benefits of coconut oil for hair before bed, learn how to use it:
Here are the main steps:
- Comb the hair and divide it into parts, then heat the coconut oil until it becomes a liquid, and put a little on the ends of the hair and gently on the scalp, but make sure that the hair is dry.
- Wrap your hair in a shower cap before going to sleep.
- Wash it off in the morning, but remember that you may have to shampoo it a few times to remove all the oil, then apply your regular conditioner.
The second method
Here are the most important steps:
- Wash your hair and let it air dry, then apply 2 – 5 tablespoons of melted coconut oil depending on the length and thickness of your hair.
- Add 3-5 drops of rosemary oil and peppermint oil, massage the scalp to strengthen hair follicles , then leave it overnight.
- Wash your hair 3 times in the morning with shampoo to ensure that the oil is completely removed.
- It is recommended to use coconut oil 2-3 times a week for best results.
Tips when using coconut oil for hair before bed
Here are some tips to get the benefits of coconut oil for hair before bed:
- Some people suffer from allergies when using coconut oil, so it is recommended to try it on a small area of the hair, and if it is used for the first time, especially on the scalp, it is recommended to start with a very small amount.
- You should consult a doctor before using coconut oil, especially for people who suffer from dry scalp or other skin diseases, such as: eczema .
- Coconut oil is safe to use alone or as an ingredient in hair products, but it is recommended to use it alone to control the amount of oil and reduce the risk of oily hair.
- It is advised for people with oily hair to avoid applying coconut oil to the hair before bed, as it may clog the pores.
- You can add some other oils, such as: lavender oil, or peppermint oil, or mix it with some ingredients, such as: yogurt, honey, or avocado for additional aesthetic benefits.
- Some people have difficulty removing coconut oil from their hair, so it can be washed off with baking soda, black tea or apple cider vinegar .