Medically Reviewed by Neil Lava, MD on February 28, 2015
Dwelling with migraines is usually a vicious cycle of stress, ache, and poor sleep. That’s not good, since lack of shuteye could make you as much as eight occasions extra more likely to have one in all these complications. The excellent news is that you could find methods to get higher relaxation — and hold the ache at bay.
Migraines and Sleep
Sleep issues and migraines typically are linked. In the event you don’t get sufficient relaxation, or in the event you get up typically, you will have extra complications they usually might damage worse. Get greater than 8 hours an evening and it might have the identical impact.
Treating your explicit sleep downside might assist your complications. Ask your physician what you are able to do. Some medication have uncomfortable side effects that may make you drowsy; others make you hyper. In the event you use an over-the-counter sleep or ache reliever headache too typically you possibly can get what’s known as a rebound headache — the place the drugs dulls your ache for some time, however the migraine comes proper again when it wears off.
Keep on Schedule
You’ll have fewer or much less painful migraines in the event you eat, drink, sleep, and get up on the similar time daily. Keep on schedule as a lot as attainable. In the event you drink espresso or sodas with caffeine, drink the identical quantity every day or keep away from them altogether.
Sleep and Headache Remedies
You may strive prescription or over-the-counter medication to assist together with your sleep issues. Different therapies like cognitive-behavioral remedy, leisure strategies, yoga, or dietary supplements might assist ease migraines in addition to any stress that may even be protecting you awake.
Caffeine may enable you to deal with your migraines, however it may well additionally hold you awake. Some migraine medicines comprise caffeine. Hold your consumption the identical every day, even in the event you don’t have any in any respect.
Higher therapies for migraines and sleep issues could possibly be on the way in which. Researchers are engaged on medication that may hold the variety of complications down. They usually’re trying right into a gene linked to poor sleep and migraines in some individuals.
In the event you don’t sleep nicely or lengthy sufficient, it’s possible you’ll attempt to nap throughout the day to make up for it. However that may make it tougher to sleep at night time — and set off extra complications. If it’s important to nap, do it earlier than 3 p.m. and restrict it to half-hour.
Good Sleep Habits
Purpose for 7 to eight hours of sleep every night time. You may management some issues which will hold you from falling or staying asleep.
- Go to mattress if you’re able to sleep. Don’t lie there and watch TV or learn. Chances are you’ll get used to mendacity awake in your mattress as an alternative. If you get up within the morning, get off the bed.
- Sleep solely in your mattress, not in a chair or in your sofa.
- Set a schedule for if you go to mattress and get up. Persist with this routine as a lot as attainable.
- Use your mattress for sleep and intercourse solely.
- Cowl your clock or flip it away from you. That method you don’t look on the clock to see the time and fear about being awake.
- Get common train. Don’t work out too near your bedtime; this will make it laborious to go to sleep. Train might also enable you to stop or ease migraines.
- Make your bed room as quiet as attainable to dam out noise that would wake you up. Earplugs may also help block out sounds.
- Hold your bed room at a gentle temperature. If it’s too scorching or chilly you gained’t sleep as nicely.
- Don’t go to mattress too hungry or too full. In the event you want one thing to eat earlier than bedtime, have a lightweight snack.
- Don’t drink quite a lot of fluids earlier than mattress so that you gained’t stand up throughout the night time to go to the lavatory.
- Keep away from alcohol or smoking, particularly earlier than bedtime. Chances are you’ll suppose they’ll loosen up you, however they will make you get up in the midst of the night time.
- In the event you can’t return to sleep inside quarter-hour, get off the bed. Go into one other room to learn a e-book so you may loosen up and develop into drowsy once more. Don’t watch TV or take a look at your pc or telephone. Chances are you’ll discover it tougher to go to sleep in the event you do.