Learn about the causes of breast enlargement in boys
Enlargement of the breast glands in males, or what is called male gynecomastia, is often observed, which may be in one or both breasts together, which causes embarrassment and psychological problems for males, although it is not a serious problem. Here are the causes of breast enlargement in male children and the most prominent symptoms.
Causes of breast enlargement in male children
Enlarged breasts in males, especially children, have many causes, the most prominent of which are:
changes in hormones
Hormonal change is one of the most important causes of breast enlargement in male children. Hormones play a large role in our bodies, as testosterone is responsible for male characteristics such as beard and chest hair growth, and at the female level, estrogen controls female characteristics and characteristics such as breast growth.
The level of the testosterone hormone is higher than the level of estrogen in males. If there is an imbalance in the balanced ratios of hormones in the body, this may lead to breast enlargement in males.
The phenomenon of male breast enlargement varies according to their age. Newborn babies are born with enlarged breasts due to the high level of estrogen in their mothers. This enlargement usually disappears within two to three weeks.
While at puberty, hormonal changes occur, which are the most common ages in male breast enlargement, and the enlargement or gynecomastia often disappears within a period ranging from 6 months to two years.
Some nutritional problems
There are some potential nutritional factors that may affect the breast size in male children, such as malnutrition and starvation, as they work on an imbalance in the level of testosterone, which begins to decline with the stability of the level of estrogen in the body, which increases the rate of breast enlargement in male children.
Medicines and herbs
Medications such as antibiotics and other medications and herbs such as tea tree may be associated with male breast enlargement because they work on a hormonal imbalance in the body.
Weight gain is associated with an increase in the female hormone estrogen, which in turn is responsible for controlling breast size and growth, so weight gain leads to male breast enlargement.
Some health problems
Males with certain diseases may develop breast enlargement such as chronic liver disease, kidney failure, and hyperthyroidism.
Symptoms of breast enlargement in male children
After you learned about the causes of breast enlargement in male children, here are the most important symptoms that a child feels when breast enlargement
- Swelling in one or both breasts.
- Sometimes touching the breast can be painful.
Treatment of breast enlargement in male children
Breast enlargement in male children often goes away on its own over time, but here are some tips to reduce the phenomenon of breast enlargement in male children after consulting the responsible doctor:
- Apply cold compresses to the swollen breasts and the sore spots.
- Stop taking any medications that may increase breast enlargement or any drugs that cause hormonal imbalance.
- Pay attention to your child’s nutrition and make sure that his nutrition is sound .
- If there are any health problems, visit a doctor to determine the extent of the problem and prevent its development.
- Surgery, which is one of the last solutions that can be resorted to, where the goal behind its use is to relieve psychological complications resulting from breast enlargement in male children and restore the natural appearance of the breast to not feel embarrassment or discomfort.